Columbus Day is observed the second Monday of each October here in the United States of America. And It is quickly upon us!
While my children and I do not study Christopher Columbus in-depth each year, we do read and discuss him at least once each year around Columbus Day, and then as the opportunity arises during our school year. Because we have a steady diet of American History each year, my children are quite familiar with Columbus and his contributions to the discovery of the Americas.
9+ years ago, I created a set of Christopher Columbus worksheets for my then 2nd grader. That boy is now a young man (17!), so I figured it was time to give those worksheets an overhaul and a face lift! I also added a couple of new activities to the worksheet packet.
If you are reading a few Columbus books this school year, simply add this worksheet packet to your week for a solid Columbus Unit Study!
➡ Take a peek at our tried-and-true Favorite Books About Christopher Columbus. I have read and vetted each one for our homeschool reading.
✔ If you have younger learners, take a look at the Christopher Columbus Coloring Pages and see if they would be a good fit.
Christopher Columbus Worksheet Packet
My older children learned by Unit Studies for most of their elementary years. We checked out books from the library and completed worksheets, projects, and hands-on activities as a fun way to learn about various people, places, and time periods.
I would always bind the worksheets together to make a “book”, which made it all the more exciting. Small changes of pace from the normal routine are always welcomed and enjoyed by both children and mom!
I used our binding machine to create the books, but you can simply punch three holes down the sides and use yarn or twine. Sometimes homemade ways are the best. ❤
Included in This Columbus Packet
This packet of worksheets were created for 2nd-5th graders, however, they can certainly be used with a wide-range of ages and stages.
This worksheet packet set contains 14 different printable worksheets and activities plus answer keys where appropriate.
You will find the following pages in this worksheet packet:
- Notes About This Packet: Notes to aid you in your plans
- Christopher Columbus Biography: Fill-in-the-blank and true/false style biography questions
- Columbus Fact & Opinion: Name 3 facts and 3 opinions about Columbus
- Columbus Word Problems: Practice math and critical thinking with these Columbus-themed word problems
- Questions and Answers: 2 Columbus-themed writing prompts to promote critical thinking
- Map Skills: The 4 Voyages: Practice basic map skills by answering the questions about Columbus’ 4 voyages
- Map Skills: Countries: Practice basic map skills by following the directions and answering the questions about countries Columbus visited
- Christopher Columbus Word Search: Search for each Columbus-related word in the puzzle
- Columbus Fill-in-the-Blank: Fill in the blank with the correct word
- Alphabetical Order: Place each Columbus-themed word in each section in ABC order
- Reading Comprehension: Read the short narrative about Christopher Columbus and answer the questions
- Description of Christopher Columbus: Choose various describing words and phrases
- Cut & Paste Definitions: Cut out each Columbus-themed definition and paste it beside the correct word it describes
- Copywork: ‘In fourteen hundred ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue.’
- Flap Book about Columbus’ Life and Legacy: Cut and paste the flap book as instructed, and then complete with factual sentences according to ability
- Answer Keys: 8 pages of Answer Keys for appropriate pages
All Access Pass members can download the Christopher Columbus packet in the All Access Pass area.
After you log in, choose the History and Geography page and scroll down until you see this particular worksheet packet. Then just click and your download will start immediately.
If you’re not an All Access Pass member, you may purchase the Christopher Columbus Worksheet packet here:
This is wonderful !! Thank You so much 🙂 Have a blessed day~ amy
Yay! I’m glad you and your little ones have enjoyed them. Thank you for such a kind comment! 🙂
I hope this is more historically accurate and neutral than the public and home “education” I received regarding Cristobal Colon.
Jay, of course it is. 🙂
I don’t see the “download link at the bottom of this post” after I sign in. 🙁
Hi Jennifer – I can see that you’ve initiated the steps to become a member, but it’s not completed in PayPal. Once you complete the PayPal portion of the membership, you can log in and have instant access to the download.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me: mama @ mamaslearningcorner . com.
I love this packet! Thank you for sharing it. What resources did you use to go along with this?
I’m so glad you love it, Molly! My kiddos are going to work through it again this year, too.
Hmm. I’ll have to go dig out the resources I used (books, etc). I’ll write a post with those resources in the next few weeks!