I can’t begin to count the sets of number cards I’ve made out of index cards in the past 3 years. It’s been many. I’m sure I’ve written numbers 1 through 100 at least two dozen times for various and sundry math games, drills, and hands-on activities.
So it finally dawned on me:
Make a printable set of numbered cards, laminate them, and never write them on index cards again!
And so I did.
Note: This post was originally published in November 2012! That was a LONG time ago! I’ve updated the printable number cards and left much of the original post intact. ❤
Ideas for Using Printable Number Cards
We use these little printable number cards for all kinds of things in our homeschool. Sometimes we use the whole stack of 100 and at other times I only pull out a set of 10 or 20.
The activity mostly depends on the age of the child I’m working with. Here are a few of the ways we use them in our home:
- Practice number recognition
- Arrange in ascending and descending order
- Play math games (I need to write a post on all of the games we play, as we play several times a week.)
- Count by 2’s, 5’s, 10’s
- Use as a number line
- Choose which number comes next
- Set out a group of manipulatives, count the number of items, and find the corresponding card
- “Write” the date in numerals (example: 11-20-21)
- Adding & Subtracting
- “Write” their own equations
- Practice odds & evens
- Draw a card and practice writing that number in words
- Draw a card and practice writing tally marks
- Draw a card and practice writing that same number in Roman Numerals
- Place Value
Getting Your Number Cards Ready For Use
This printable set of number cards contains numbers 0 through 100, and then 100-1000 when counting by 100’s.
Note for 2021: I have used these number cards for over 10 years now, and take my advice and go ahead and laminate them. You will be so happy you did!
It makes the cards more slick for easier handling, and it also adds to the durability.
I printed this most recent set on cardstock and then used my (very old) laminator.
Success! Now my current 4 year old has a brand new set to use!
I store our cards in a lidded container.
All Access Pass members can download immediately download this set of number cards.
You can download the set of printable number cards here: