During the week of Thanksgiving, my children and I usually take a break from our regular school subjects and study about the First Thanksgiving. I call it ‘Thanksgiving School.’
That’s a very creative name, isn’t it?! 🙂
I try to make it fun and have everything we do revolve around Thanksgiving – worksheets, matching games, reading, and even science!
But having a Thanksgiving Week takes a little planning!
I’ve compiled a list of resources that I’m using in our homeschool to study that First Thanksgiving. Hopefully you can use them in your own homeschool also.
Children’s Books on the History of Thanksgiving
This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure page for more information.
We’ll read through several books during the week of Thanksgiving, including many of these:
- …If You Sailed on The Mayflower in 1620 – Ann McGovern – We read through this book last year and loved it! My kiddos and I enjoyed all of the details and facts.
- If You Were At…The First Thanksgiving – Anne Kamma – We also read through this book last year and it had the same style of presenting facts in an interesting way.
- The Pilgrim’s First Thanksgiving – Ann McGovern (a favorite!)
- The Littlest Pilgrim – Brandi Dougherty – The book itself is fiction, but the descriptions are accurate for the time period
- Thanksgiving is For Giving Thanks – Margaret Sutherland – also not historical, but works is a simple read for my preschooler
- Thanksgiving on Plymouth Plantation (The Time Traveling Twins) – Diane Stanley – Packed full of interesting tidbits of that First Thanksgiving, including what was eaten then compared to what is eaten now.
More Thanksgiving Worksheets and Resources
Videos on the History of Thanksgiving
Watch how I plan our entire History of Thanksgiving unit study in this video!
While I’ve personally viewed each of these videos to determine if their content is appropriate, make sure you view them before your children to make sure they’re appropriate for your household.
History of Thanksgiving Day
Bet You Didn’t Know: History of Thanksgiving
History of Thanksgiving Pinterest Board
There are many great children’s books and online learning activities regarding the history of Thanksgiving. I’ve created a Pinterest Board on the History of Thanksgiving so I can have a running list of resources. Feel free to follow along!
Free Worksheets on the History of Thanksgiving
This group of worksheets will be used in our own homeschool during the week of Thanksgiving. Feel free to download it and use it in your own homeschool!
In this 12-page group of worksheets you’ll find:
- Fill-in-the-blank with simple answers
- Cut & Paste definitions (set of 5)
- Writing Prompt Notebooking Page
- Word Search (horizontal lines only)
- Then and Now Thanksgiving Dinner
- Thanksgiving History Mystery Code
- Copywork Page of Lincoln’s Proclamation in 1863 (contains elementary lines and plain lines)
Click here to download History of Thanksgiving worksheets: