When I am researching curriculum for our homeschool, I am so tickled when I find a post or site that gives me several options through which to wade. If you are looking for U.S. History curriculum for your homeschool, I hope this will be that post for you!
As a homeschool mama for 12+ years, it is fascinating to watch the homeschool world grow and change around me. One of the most obvious changes is the increase in curriculum options.
While options are wonderful, it can sometimes be a bit overwhelming! I often suffer from decision fatigue.
In this post, I have compiled a list of U.S. History curricula for homeschoolers. I usually only write about curriculum that I have used in my own homeschool, so make note that this list is simply that – a comprehensive list.
You will find a list of full U.S. History curricula for Kindergarten through High School.
So let’s get started!
NOTE: This post only includes full curricula. I will publish a LONG list of U.S. History supplemental materials (coloring books, hands-on activities, audiobooks, etc.) at a later time.
➡ Browse through all of the history worksheets and resources here at Mama’s Learning Corner.
➡ If you would like to see what we study each year in our homeschool, you can browse through my lengthy resource on Homeschool Curriculum.
This post contains my affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
U.S. History Textbooks
This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
Abeka History – Grades 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 11; Most grade packages include Student textbook, Teacher’s Guides, Quizzes & Tests booklet with answer key
– My America and My World – Grade 1; Only the 1st portion of the book is America-focused; last section of book focuses on other countries
– Our America – Grade 2
– Our American Heritage – Grade 3
– The History of Our United States – Grade 4
– America: Land I Love – Grade 8
– United States History: Heritage of Freedom – Grade 11
America in God’s Providence – Grades 10-12; Hardcover textbook with student workbook
American History: Observations & Assessments from Early Settlement to Today – Grades 10-12; Includes Student Textbook, Teacher’s Guide with lesson plans, Quizzes & Tests, student worksheets, and answer keys
American History: Take a Stand! – Grades 9-12; Time Period: 1492 to Present; Includes Teacher’s Edition, Student’s Edition, A Patriot’s History of the United States, and link to Primary Sources used
America’s Story Series, Volumes 1-3 – Grades 3-6; Series of 3 volumes, with each volume to be completed in 1 school year; Includes student text, Teacher’s Guides, oral narration questions, journaling & drawing prompts, Quizzes & Tests, and Digging Deeper Sections
– America’s Story Volume 1 – From the Ancient Americas to the Gold Rush
– America’s Story Volume 2 – From the Civil War to the Industrial Revolution
– America’s Story Volume 3 – From the Early 1900s to Modern Times
Biographies of the American Revolution Set: Fight for Freedom – Grades 4-6; Includes Teacher’s Guide and Student Text, worksheets, quizzes & tests, and weekly lesson plans
BJU Heritage Studies – Grades 1-5 focus specifically on U.S. History; Grades 6 and 7 are World History
– Heritage Studies 1 Subject Kit – Grade 1
– Heritage Studies 2 Subject Kit – Grade 2
– Heritage Studies 3 Subject Kit – Grade 3
– Heritage Studies 4 Subject Kit – Grade 4
– Heritage Studies 5 Subject Kit – Grade 5
– American Republic – Grade 8
– U.S. History Subject Kit – Grades 10-12
Christian Liberty Press – Grades 1-5; Most grade packages include a student textbook, packet of tests, and an answer key.
– History for Little Pilgrims – Grade 1
– Our Nation Under God – Grade 2
– American Pioneers and Patriots – Grade 3
– A Child’s History of America – Grade 4
– Exploring America’s History – Grade 5
Christian Light Education – Grades 5, 8, and 11
– North America is the Lord’s – Grade 5; Includes textbook or Sunrise version. The U.S. is the main focus of this curriculum, however, there are some sections on Canada and the role Anabaptists play in North American history.
– Changing Frontiers – Grade 8; Available in textbook or Sunrise version – This text gets excellent reviews! Very solid.
– United States History – Grade 11; Available in Sunrise units
A Concise History of the American Republic – Grades 10-12; This curriculum is divided into 2 years, using the same textbook for both
Homelands of North America – Grade 5; Rod and Staff; Note that the text covers the United States as well as Canada
Land of Hope: An Invitation to the Great American Story – Grades 9-12; This textbook reads like a story book and is more engaging than the average school text; need all components to use as a full curriculum.
– Land of Hope Textbook
– Land of Hope Teacher’s Guide
– Land of Hope Student Workbook
Modern American History – Grades 9-12; Time Period: 1865 to Present; Includes Teacher’s Edition, Student Edition, lesson plans, A Patriot’s History of the United States, The Patriot’s History Reader, and links to Primary Sources used
Notgrass – Books for elementary and middle school are textbooks used in a unit study style.
– Our Star-Spangled Story – Grades 1-4; Includes hands-on ideas, literature suggestions, timeline, workbook, and more.
– Our Fifty States – Grades 1-4; Includes literature suggestions, atlas workbook, hands-on activities.
– America the Beautiful – Grades 5-8; Includes history, geography, and literature. Lesson plans, guided writing assignments, timeline, vocabulary, mapwork, and more.
– Exploring America – Grades 9-12; Includes weekly assignment guide, primary source information, literature option, writing assignments, test & quizzes.
The Story of Liberty: America’s Ancient Heritage through the Civil War – Grades 6-9; Includes Textbook, student workbook, Teacher’s Edition, DVD for Socratic Method instruction, and links to Primary Sources used in the course.
Other U.S. History Curriculum
If you would like to try a method of studying U.S. History that does not include textbooks, browse through the following list of curricula.
Some of the resources listed below include videos, some include living books, some are worktext-style, a few are hands-on activities, and many are a combination of these.
200 Questions American History – Grades 6-8; Includes 200 questions each American should know. Uses Guerber’s The Story of the Thirteen Colonies & The Great Republic and Story of the World Vol. IV.
Ace PACEs American History – Grade 11; Worktexts
American History – Grades 10-12; 4-part series of American History delivered in a unique format by The Nomadic Professor; opportunities for video, audio, textbooks, and more
American History: A Story of Courage, Conflict and Freedom – Grades 10-12; Fully-narrated Powerpoints, Student Workbook, uses many online and digital resources, tests and exams included
American History Video Series – Grades 9-12; 1st in a 4-year series; video based with supplemental materials
Bede’s History of US – Grade 1; Veritas Press publisher. Reading book with cut-out activity pages in the back.
Beautiful Feet Books – Uses a living books approach; Most packs come with a Teacher’s Guide and timeline and possibly mapwork
– Early American History Primary Pack – Grades K-3; Spans 1000 A.D. through the mid-1800s
– Early American Intermediate Pack – Grades 4-6;
– Modern American and World History – Grades 5-8; Only a portion of this curriculum is U.S. History, covers the American Civil War to Modern Day
– Early American History – Grades 7-9; 1000 A.D. through 19th century
– Modern U.S. and World Senior High Pack – Grades 11-12; Only a portion of this curriculum is U.S. History, covers 1850 to 2000
Guest Hollow’s American History – Grades 9-12; Divided into two years
– Guest Hollow’s High School American History Year 1 – Covers 1492-1899
– Guest Hollow’s High School American History Year 2 – Covers 20th Century American History
Hillsdale College’s 1776 Curriculum – Grades K-12; Only select time periods are currently available
Sonlight – Uses a living books approach
– Exploring American History – Grade K
– Intro to American History, Year 1 – Grades 4-7
– Intro to American History, Year 2 – Grades 5-8
– Sonlight 100 American History – Grades 8-10
The Story of Liberty: America’s Heritage Through the Civil War – Grades 8-12; This is a versatile course in that you can use only the textbooks, only the video lessons, or a combination of the two
Wild World of History – Grades 9-12; Author of A Patriot’s History of the United States; video and reading in text
Winter Promise – Grades 1-8; 2 levels of American History, Years 1 and 2
What is your favorite U.S. History curriculum for your homeschool? Please let us know in the comments!