My Kindergartner and I are working hard on mastering CVC words, and I am happy to say that I am starting to see slight improvements in his ability to read his CVC readers. He has been a child that has had a slower start to reading.
And that is just fine. He is moving along at his own pace.
I introduced the Long A sound with a_e words, also known as CVCe words last week and he has been very slow to pick those up.
I am a busy bee preparing the rest of the vowels in this series so they are ready for me to print and go when he gets to the next stage.
Download and print this set of Short I and Long I CVC and CVCe worksheets for your young learner, too!
➡ Browse through all of the phonics worksheets and hands-on printable activities here at Mama’s Learning Corner. You will find color by code, rhyming practice, CVC activities galore, and more!
Short I and Long I Vowel Sounds
In this worksheet packet, you will find only Short Vowel I CVC words and Long Vowel I CVCe words. Words like ‘hive’ or ‘pine’.
I will publish future worksheet packets where we study the other ways to make the Long I sound such as the vowel team igh or vowel team ie or the “sometimes y.”
This packet is helpful for beginning readers that are trying to grasp the sound of Long I versus Short I.
You will find the following activities in this worksheet set:
- Practice Short I and Long I – Cut and paste the correct word under the picture
- Sorting: Short I and Long I – Cut and paste the word in the correct column
- Match the Picture – Match each Long I word with the correct picture
- Which Word? – Choose the correct word under each picture
- Find the Long I Word – Word search with clues going horizontally and vertically
- Finish the Sentence – Use the word bank to complete each sentence
- Color By Code – Uses Short I and Long I CVCe words
- Read, Trace, and Write – Read the word, trace the word, and then write the word.
- Sentence Match – Choose the sentence that best matches the picture.
- Maze It! – Trace the Long I CVCe words through the maze. Then complete the words by writing the missing letters.
- Short I Picture Poster – 8.5×11″ size poster with Short I pictures
- Long I CVCe Picture Poster – 8.5×11″ poster with Long I CVCe pictures
- Also includes several ideas for using the picture posters
Short I and Long I Picture Posters
In addition to the 10 worksheets in this packet, I have included (2) 8.5 x 11″ picture posters – one that focuses on the Short I sound and one that focuses on the Long I sound using CVCe words.
I have included several ideas for using these picture posters in the worksheet packet, so make sure you don’t miss that page in the front!
All Access Pass members can download this entire packet in the All Access Pass area.